Shimla played a pivotal in the freedom struggle and also cherishes the heritage that British regime left behind. Let’s relive the past and get to know the queen of hills from being Simla (then) to Shimla (now).
Shimla Was the Summer Capital during British Regime
Shimla was a quaint village known as Shyamala before the British discovered and developed it into an architectural marvel. Lured by the climatic and geographical setup akin to their European homeland, British made it their summer capital. Since then until 1939 they made Shimla their home and workplace to escape the scorching heat of Indian plains.
The Architectural & Other Influences
During the time British stayed here they turned a humble, sleepy village into an architectural marvel, polished by their aesthetic sense. The heritage still lingers on:
- Viceregal Lodge – now known as Indian Institute of Advanced Study showcases the Renaissance charm.
- The Mall – brings the nostalgic feeling of county marketplace alive.
- Gorton Castle now the Accountant General’s Office echoes Scottish baronial lure that is enlivened by its saracenic arches.
- The Secretariat at Ellerslie is fine example of Neo-Gothic architecture style
- Gaiety Theatre (now renovated) – hosted amateur theatricals during the time British stayed here. It is still hub for theatricals and other events.
- The Library on the Ridge and Barnes Court are chiseled to reflect Tudor style.
- Other architectures include – churches, schools, old colleges and heritage cottages.
- Chail Cricket Ground – British played cricket here which is still world’s highest cricket ground.
- Naldehra Golf Course – Influenced by the beauty of this tiny spot Viceroy Lord Curzon set a golf course here and even named her daughter after this place.
- Ice Skating Ring – Was enjoyed during colonial time and so is now during winters.
- Annandale – It now serves as a military helipad, but was a popular racecourse then.
- Scandal Point – Now a popular rendezvous point for people, it has a very intriguing past attached to it.
Whether you are looking for a plush honeymoon trip, family trip or weekend trip this is the perfect popular tourist destination to visit. Come and celebrate this Independence Day amidst the beauty of Shimla and Explore the Legacy of a Glorious Past.
You can check out tour packages here.